It was in the fall of 1918 when the Rev. Wm. F. Dietze, having accepted the call of the Mission Board and a little group of Christians residing in the Houston Heights, began conducting church services in the Houston Heights High School, Twelfth and Yale streets, with approximately fifty people in attendance. Shortly afterwards a Sunday School organization was set up with some twenty children enrolled.
On August 4, 1919, Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized with forty nine communicant members, many of whom transferred from Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. Because of these charter members, Trinity is considered the ”Mother” of Immanuel Lutheran Church. Immanuel’s first church building, purchased from St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, was located at 1408 Allston Street. This little church was dedicated on October 17, 1920 and Pastor Dietze continued to serve until 1922.
The Rev. O. P. Hinge accepted the call to Immanuel in 1923. The congregation became self-supporting in 1925 and purchased land at Fifteenth and Cortlandt Streets. Pastor Hinge resigned due to failing health in September 1925 and passed away shortly thereafter.
The Rev. A. J. Meyer was called in 1925 and served Immanuel until 1941. During this time the brick church was built, beginning with the basement which was dedicated in 1926 and was used for worship until 1932 when the superstructure was dedicated.
In 1942 the Rev. Elmo E. Miertschin accepted the call to Immanuel. During his pastorate, the gymnasium with five classrooms, the new sanctuary, and the parish hall and adjoining classrooms were built. Pastor Miertschin served Immanuel until 1974
Later in 1974 the Rev. R. G. Friedrichs was called to Immanuel and served until his retirement in 1992. During these years two associate pastors were also a part of the ministry. The Rev. Chris Johnson served in 1984 and 1985, and the Rev. D. L. Jirovec served from 1986 until 1989.
The Rev. Louis Konz served as Interim Pastor from late 1992 until 1994.
In 1994 Rev. Timothy Carr accepted the call to Immanuel and served until 1997 at which time he accepted a call in Illinois.
In 1996 Rev. Scott Firminhac accepted a call to Immanuel as Assistant Pastor. The Congregation changed his call to Senior Pastor in 1998 and he served in that capacity until April 1999 at which time he accepted a call in Wyoming.
In July of 1998 Pastor Timothy Steckling accepted a call at Immanuel as Assistant Pastor.
In February of 2000 Pastor Timothy Steckling accepted a call at Immanuel as Senior Pastor.
On September of 2000 Pastor Victor Atsinger began his call at Immanuel as Pastoral Assistant. He resigned from his duties in 2002.
Pastor Timothy Carr was installed as Senior Pastor at Immanuel Lutheran Church in September of 2002 and served the Lord in that capacity until July of 2007.
In 2002 Pastor Carr was assisted by Reverend Erwin Metz and in July of 2003, Pastor Ben Gonzales was installed as Assistant Pastor at Immanuel Lutheran Church. Pastor Ben resigned his call at Immanuel in September of 2004 to serve as a Mission Pastor in the St. Louis area.
Rev. Tom Brouwer was installed as Senior Pastor at Immanuel on March 2, 2008 after serving as vacancy pastor for six months. He resigned in the spring of 2010.
Pastor Claudio Perez is currently serving as Associate Pastor.
Rev. Raymond Hagan served as Intentional Interim Pastor from December 1, 2011 thru June 30, 2013.
Summer of 2013, Rev. Jeffrey W. King accepted Immanuel’s call to serve as Senior Pastor and was installed on Sunday, September 22, 2013.